Secret Spot Rules!


There are many rules of hunting that aren’t in the regulation books you get each year from your state or local wildlife management organization.  These rules I am talking about are not rules that should you break them a fine or warning from a wildlife officer is the penalty but instead it can cost you a friendship and change the way a whole group of hunters view you.  This specific rule I am talking abut is about how tight your lips should remain when someone shares a “secret spot” that they found through scouting and their own hard work.   This spot may have also been passed along to them to be shared with just special people worthy of such a gift.

Recently I was invited on an epic wild turkey hunting trip with one of this county’s most successful hunters and by success, I mean by high percentage results.  Through multiple decades of hard work, scouting locations where frostbite and grizzlies have both tested his resolve, this man has produced numerous places throughout the country where Cervus canadensis, Ursus americanus and many others have the odds against them.  With that said, he is good at what he does, and that is “lives to hunt”.

My wife and I drove two and a half days to get to a special place that was pinpointed on a google earth map while he and I chatted on the telephone months prior.  This place was out of the way where during the days spent there only a few humans were spotted in the distance, but the total could be counted on one hand.  Upon my arrival I was pointed out a location where birds are known to roost and sure enough as the evening approached the gobbles started from what sounded like 4 to 5 toms.  I assembled my gear and prepared for a morning hunt to start in the predawn hours.

Up at 5:10AM and walking a trail towards the suspected tree lined ridge at 5:20, I was eager to see what the cresting sunlight brings in the way of morning thunder.  I navigated my way up a wooded ridgeline towards an open grassy plateau without ever being at this location during daylight and picked out a tree to start calling from with my home-made call box. It was still dark as brushed pine cones from beneath me and settled against a mature pine.

As the sky became increasingly light a few faint gobbles started to be heard in the distance that triggered a domino effect slowly down the tree line where I sat motionless.  Sure enough a turkey gobbles behind me about 70 yards away.  It wasn’t the strongest gobble but I knew there was at least one bachelor nearby.  As he gobbled more I wasn’t impressed and thought maybe this was a jake just getting used to his pipes, and I didn’t drive for 1,500 miles to kill a jake. 

I decided to start a couple of yelps to see if there were any others nearby and to my surprise a raspy gobble responded even closer at 40 yards away that was so powerful it almost sounded like it was beign projected through a megaphone.  I must have walked right under his roost he was so close.  This became a likely truth when I realized that they must have known I was there because as the morning sun light grew strong their gobbles stopped and I never heard them from that angle again.

I kept yelping every 10-15 minutes to see if I could get a response and finally, after the sun had been up a while, a gobble came from another direction but with a fence line between us.  I couldn’t see what was happening but I knew, a tom was all puffed up and spitting a drumming just out of my sight.  His drum sounded like he was driving a 4x4 into the ground with one swift blow.  I could feel the power of his drum through the ground I was sitting on.  I honestly didn’t realize it was his drum at first and thought it was farm equipment somewhere nearby.  To my dismay another yelp beacons off from another direction and this hen is in his line of sight, so he scrambles to her.  I climb up to the edge of the hill to peer over and he is off displaying for her, no longer on public land.  The remaining morning, I chased phantom gobblers and tried to entice them into shooting distance but was unsuccessful.  Watching them display at a distance, closing the gap and having them disappear was a game of cat and mouse that they were winning.

Hunting for the rest of the trip was like this in areas around base camp. It was exhilarating and hunting I will always remember for the adventure that ended with a gobble, a spit and drum and me belly crawling to peer over the edge of a ridge and pull the trigger of my self-painted turkey 12 gauge, but this is not a hunting story, this is a story about tight lips for shared places.

At the end of the trip I was grateful for the experience and privilege it was to be invited to such a special place with so many challenging opportunities for productive hunting.  He said to me, “if any one asks where you got the bird, just say Missouri” or was it Kansas… or Iowa…  I am not sure I even remember where it was.

So the rule is this:
Special hunting places shared with you stay with you and are NEVER to be shared by mouth, written word or by physically taking someone else.  Be vague in your description of the hunt, you never know who is listening.

When is it ok to go back?
-          When invited by the person you learned about the place from.
-          If you are given a clear “ok” to visit on your own, assume you must go alone.

When is it ok to share the spot?

                Assume NEVER, the only way two people can keep a secret is if one of them is dead!
If you are given an okay to share the spot, be very careful who you share it with and make sure they have the same principles you have on understanding how valuable this special place is to a select group of people.  Be proud you are one of them and never EVER squander that responsibility.

So much work goes into finding places that are off of the easy road and have a purity level that not many of the general public will ever understand.  Keep them secure, treasure them and never share them unless you know they will remain wild, untainted and visited only seldom by those that understand why it must stay that way.

As for a paid outfitter on public land, well, that is up to you but still consider them sacred, just paid for to do with what you wish.  Just consider that the more that know of that place the less productive and  more damaged from human boots it will be.

Add your comments in on this one.  This may require some input!

Comments